Cold Lunches Can Go Beyond Peanut Butter And Jelly Sandwiches
Currently Desert Star Academy is not equipped to offer lunches. School administration is researching the National School Lunch Program and more information will be made available as the school receives it. Scholars will need to pack a cold lunch. Due to limited space there are no microwaves available to make Top Ramen or heat up food. Also, be sure your scholar eats a healthy breakfast to increase focus and have a positive impact on school performance. Cold Lunches can go beyond peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Preparing cold lunches can be a family activity after dinner each night. Involve your children in the lunch-packing process. Let them fill baggies with snacks or make fun sandwiches. Not only does this promote responsibility, but it’s also great bonding and learning time.
School lunches can be:
- Personal by parents writing and encouraging notes to their scholars.
- Different by coming up with varied menus to keep your scholar interested in cold lunch.
- Delicious by providing your scholars with healthy and tasty lunches can be tricky but possible.
- Teach responsibility to your scholars to plan and prepare and can be a way to bond and learn together.
Here is a recommended grocery list of cold lunch food items that are healthy and will uphold room temperature.
- Babybel Cheese
- String Cheese
- Fruit Cups (mixed fruit, mandarin oranges, peaches)
- Fresh Fruit (bananas, organ ages, applies, berries, watermelon, cantaloupe)
- Fresh Vegetables (carrots, celery, cucumbers)
- Trail Mix
- Fruit Leather or Fruit Snacks
- Dried Fruit
- Granola Bars
- Veggie Straws
- Gold Fish
- Tortilla chips and Salsa
- Green Salads with your favorite, vegetables, fruit and deli meats C
- Cereal -- Cheerios/Kix for example
- Bagels with cream cheese, peanut butter
- Baked Goods -- Cookies, Muffins, Breakfast Breads (great family activity)
- Leftovers from the previous night can make prepping for lunch with ease
- Bottle Water
- Fruit Juice
- White or Chocolate Milk
- Don't forget the reusable lunch containers, sandwich bags and brown sack lunch bags
Items not recommended for your scholar to have at lunch
- Energy Drinks
- Large Bag of Chips with no other foods of nutritious value
- Any foods that require a microwave to cook or warm up, i.e.. Top Ramen, Chef Boyardee, Mac and Cheese, etc., due to limited space were unable to provide microwaves